What are the considerations for different mattress sizes?
- Size of the person sleeping on the mattress
- Number of people sleeping on the mattress
- Size of the room
- Location of the room
There are several factors to think about before selecting your mattress. One of the most important being the mattress size. Given that there are different mattress sizes, you’ll want to think about the size of the room and who you will be sharing the bed with to name a few. The average person spends about one-third of their life sleeping on a mattress, so ensure you consider the following factors. Continue reading on to learn more.
What Are The Different Mattress Sizes?
To help you make an informed decision when purchasing a mattress, here is a simple summary of the different mattress sizes in Australia. Keep in mind that the dimensions of mattresses in Australia differ from those around the world.
- Twin Mattress – Also known as a Single mattress, the Twin mattress measures 38 inches wide by 75 inches long (97 x 191 cm). It is the smallest mattress size available on the market, which makes it ideal for single sleepers or kids that are transitioning from their cribs. A Twin mattress is also perfect for small rooms.
- Twin XL Mattress – The Twin XL mattress measures 38 inches wide and 80 inches long (97 x 203 cm), making it ideal for single sleepers who are taller than the average person.
- Full Mattress – Also known as a Double mattress, the Full mattress measures 54 inches wide and 75 inches long (137 x 191 cm). This mattress would only be best for single sleepers that prefer a bit more space. It is not ideal for couples that don’t wish to be restricted in movement. However, a full mattress can work for partners that are less than 5’5” tall.
- Queen Mattress – With measurements of 60 inches wide and 80 inches long (152 x 203 cm), the Queen is the most popular mattress size in Australia. For a good reason, it can provide couples enough space no matter their sleeping style.
- King Mattress – The King mattress measures 76 inches wide and 80 inches long (193 x 191 cm). As the biggest mattress size in terms of width, the king is ideal for couples that share a room with children or pets.
- California King Mattress – The California King mattress measures an astounding 72 inches wide and 84 inches long (183 x 213 cm), which makes it the longest mattress size. It is ideal for taller people or couples that toss and turn. This is the perfect mattress size option for families with multiple kids or pets as well.
No one wants to end up with a mattress that does not suit their needs. Finding the perfect mattress is not a one-size-fits-all situation. That being said, here are the different considerations for choosing the size of your next mattress.
Size Of The Person Sleeping On The Mattress
For the different mattress sizes, there is a clear tradeoff between length and width. Body size will indicate the width of the mattress you need.
If you’re over six feet, a twin-size mattress will be too small for your body size. Tall people should consider a mattress with extra length to give them the comfort they need, such as a twin XL mattress. The length of the queen and king-size mattresses is not far from twin XL mattresses as well, making them great for taller couples. If you have a wider build, it would be best to opt for a full-size mattress to sleep comfortably.
Number of People Sleeping On The Mattress
Will you be sleeping on the mattress with a partner, kid, or pet? If yes, the smallest mattress size you’ll want to opt for is a queen. Twin, Twin XL, and full mattresses are typically meant for single sleepers. If you plan to share your mattress with more than one person or pet, consider getting an even larger size such as a king or California king.
It would also be best to consider how close you like to sleep with your partner and your usual sleeping positions. Larger mattress sizes will have more space to fit both of you.
Size of the Room
One of the top factors that dictate your mattress’s size is the size of the room it will be placed in. For this, you’ll have to consider the circulation space. A large mattress would not be ideal for a tiny apartment because of the limited space. You should be able to move freely around the room without obstruction and still have enough space for essential furniture, opening doors, and fixtures such as lights and electrical outlets.
Location Of The Room
It can be challenging to carry a large mattress into a room that cannot be accessed easily. If your room has tiny doors, is only accessible by narrow stairs, or is not located on the ground level, you may encounter installation problems. Unless you are opting for a convenient mattress in a box that ships the entire mattress in a compressed box, you might be better off with buying a smaller size.
Your budget will dictate what mattress size you can spend money on. Naturally, a queen size will cost more than a full size, and a king-size will cost more than a queen. Keep in mind that buying a mattress that meets both your budget needs and size needs is the ideal situation.
Investing in a good mattress is one of the best investments you can make in life. With the number of different mattress sizes available on the market, ensure you choose the right one. In this guide, we rounded up the different mattress sizes. There are few things to consider including body size, number of people sleeping on the mattress, room size, room location, and budget as well. When all is said and done, the best choice is ultimately to buy the best mattress in a box in Australia for improved comfort and better value.
We also have a more in-depth comparison of the best mattress in Australia for 2021. Emma Sleep tops the list by going above and beyond to ensure you and your partner get a good night’s sleep. Click here and shop now for the most-awarded Emma Original Mattress!